[TriEmbed] Novel approach for low power logic from Intel

John Wettroth jwet at mindspring.com
Tue Aug 29 10:51:27 CDT 2023

There are two general techniques under the heading of voltage scaling.  DVS or dynamic voltage scaling does this in kind of an open loop way- vary the voltage and clock with kind of lookup table.  AVS or adaptive voltage scaling is closed loop, they have a kind of a small model of the process on chip that they can play with V and F (like a ring oscillator driving a counter, etc.).  This was called CPE, critical path emulation.  We had a group at Maxim that was trying to do similar things in the analog/mixed signal domain.  Current is just CVF + leakage.  Leakage is generally small portion but at low frequencies becomes significant.  You can play substrate tricks to reduce leakage, then its just C, V and F.  You have more control of C than you’d think, you can turn off big blocks when not in use- V and F is what’s left.

Regards,
John M. Wettroth
E: jwet at mindspring.com