[TriEmbed] Project advice: SmartTV hacking

Scott Hall scottghall1 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 11:08:00 CDT 2022

Brian,
This is done all the time in companies, churches and schools for
"electronic signage".  First, with the chipsets used, the rendering of the
video signals is not in a form that can be 'tapped off' to be able to make
a transmittable signal, unless the motherboard of the TV is already doing
that for its own features -- in other words already creating an HDMI output
port.  Essentially what I do when consulting with places is to get an
external Roku device and forgo the internal "smart" works, then use an HDMI
distributing amplifier.  If you have more than one signal source, like
cable, Roku, DVD, etc, then an external HDMI switch is used.  You chain the
devices together kind of like this:

Cable     ──→╖                  ╓───→ TV or Monitor
             ╠══════╗    ╔══════╣
DVR/Camera──→╢4-to-1║    ║1-to-4╟───→ TV or Monitor
             ║ HDMI ╟───→╢ Dist.║
DVD Player──→╢Switch║    ║ Amp  ╟───→ TV or Monitor
             ╠══════╝    ╚══════╣
Streaming ──→╜                  ╙───→ TV or Monitor
  Device

a sample link for a 4-to-1 HDMI switch:
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00OJMAXZ2/ (really a 4-to-2 switch, as it has
2 outputs)

a sample link to a 1-to-4 HDMI distribution amp:
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0180PPTNO/

link to a review of switches and dist. amps:
https://www.gearhungry.com/best-hdmi-splitter/

- sgh

--
Scott G. Hall
Raleigh, NC, USA
scottghall1 at gmail.com
*Although kindness is rarely a job, no matter what you do it's always an
option.*