[TriEmbed] Project advice: SmartTV hacking

Brian Chamberlain blchamberlain at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 13:28:09 CDT 2022

Hi Scott, Thanks for the advice and suggestions (and very cool
diagram BTW). This client makes media/software for smartTVs. So part of
their development process is that they need to test their content/software
on actual TVs. They have a solution for testing Roku's, AppleTV, game
consoles, etc...since those all have HDMI outputs. But there's a whole list
of major brand TV's and models they want to be able to test in a
similar/consistent way. Their engineering staff is remote so I'm guessing
they'd want to rack and stack these modded TV's somewhere so they can
access the output of the TV via a video stream, controlled by some kind of
IR blaster interface... if that helps paint a better picture.

So, at this point I'm just putting together the SOW (which would include
some exploratory hands-on TV teardowns and investigation) and requirements
gathering. My gut says that there's probably not some silver bullet
solution. Each of these TV's (and maybe even different revs of the same
models) will have very different internals. So every model/brand would be
it's own research project. But perhaps some have debug/diagnostic outputs
somewhere on the main board? Though that really feels like wishful
thinking. But I am also hoping there's some other entirely sane approach to
this.

-Brian