[TriEmbed] Arduino Releases Its WiFi-Enabled RP2040 Board | Tom's Hardware (& structured assembler)

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Wed May 19 10:55:32 CDT 2021

For those wanting to have a full collection of PR2040 boards, here's the
Arduino Nano RP2040 Connect
<https://www.tomshardware.com/news/arduino-nano-rp2040-released> with
WIFI and Bluetooth from the Arduino folks. Tom's sez complete IDE
support from Arduino with old and new regular IDE versions and their
cloud-based IDE.

One project I want to get around to some day for the PR2040 is a
structured macro assembler. This boils down to a relatively trivial
parser for the vanilla assembly language with recognition of some simple
macros that do /if-then-else/, /while/, etc for the basic structured
programming construct collection à la Dijkstra
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edsger_W._Dijkstra>. with his seminal
1972 book written with Dahl and Hoare
<https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/structured-programming_car-hoare_o-j-dahl/331974/item/44698853/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw7pKFBhDUARIsAFUoMDZkRcyYWeGI3CG7IU9JrrMPiXo30HaTqCU1-DosM3xxBWPb-4e1H_YaAgGYEALw_wcB#idiq=44698853&edition=2051476>.
There is a very nice structured macro assembler out there for the Moto
68K and the source code for that would probably be a good starting
point. If anybody else is interested in this let me know so we can
coordinate a little project. Starting with the TI MSP430 I swore I'd get
back to assembly language after a 20+ year hiatus, but there was always
something more important and it is the case that assembler is mighty
hard to justify with today's "all computing resources are close to free"
situation making C the 21st century assembly language (and Java the 21st
century COBOL, HA!). But the PR2040 seems like a good target and
learning the M0+ instruction set would be useful for those of us who
started with assembler to get back to our roots. I'm especially
interested in interprocessor lock mechanisms that would allow for some
hand rolled parallel loops using the two cores, assuming the necessary
atomic instructions are not too expensive. Until it's time to jump to
RISC V this little chip seems to me like a wonderful, very general
solution for a lot of target applications. I can't wait to jump on this
after clearing a few figurative decks.

Pete