[TriEmbed] Monday Mtg & email list

Gregg Tracton tracton at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 09:42:51 CST 2021

*And stay off my lawn, you whippersnappers! * :)

TL;DR: we should be using a private FB group instead of this maillist.

I think the brain has a max capacity, so everytime I figure out how to
fix a phone, I lose some other memory.  I just contacted a cousin I'd swore
had no prior knowledge of, only to find I'd written his name on a family
chart
30 years ago.

So it's priorities about what to retain.
I think social media is high on the list, at least for me. YMMV.

Like how google displays conversations instead of individual messages,
FB is smoother for most workflows, so it requires less learning than,
say, figuring out why a maillist is not delivering.
That leaves me more brain capacity for the stuff I really want to retain.

[ I wish that for every new memory I could choose which old memory to
delete. ]

A private Facebook group works similarly to a maillist, except for the ads.
Ads pay the bills. Who pays the bills for the mailist?

And the PRO's are overwhelming: deleting posts (ex, to limit the spread of
a bad link), simple polls, splitting broadcasts from conversations, or a Q&A
requirement that qualifies members for joining, like:
  name a circuit you're familiar with.
  what's the functional difference between a robot and a cyborg?

Enjoy the faux snow today,
-gregg

On Fri, Jan 8, 2021 at 9:31 AM John Vaughters via TriEmbed <
triembed at triembed.org> wrote:

> It's a new decade, email lists just aren't kool anymore. Can't remember
> the last Trilug or TAR email. Over all the email lists in my life, TriEmbed
> is the last one that even has some activity. So Kudos to this group, no
> matter how small for keeping that torch and thanks to the organizers that
> keep it going.
>
> I remember a discussion in my early 30's with a then retiree. This
> question I posed, "I wonder what technology will expire my participation in
> the world?" Turns out I have the answer. Social Media. `,~)
>
> Of course like all young foolish peeps like I was, I thought, "My
> generation is more flexible, more adaptable to change because we grew up in
> a tech changing world?" I even floated the possibility in the conversation.
> But the truth is I knew human nature and history too well even then. I knew
> that most of us stop being the hip crowd at some point in life.
>
> I just can't do social media. No interest there what so ever.
>
> But there you have it, a generational divide. I do not mean to apply my
> thoughts to any single individual other than me, but I do think I am just
> an example of many in my generation. Most people end up being divided in
> some form or manner and technology is a big divider. Just like my
> Grandparents always needed their VCR clock set. Just like I hand my phone
> to my daughter to fix crap I just don't really care about. I can keep the
> lights on by maintaining power plants, but I could care less about the
> silly world of Social Media. But isn't that my divide? Of course it is.
>
> Not saying I don't use it, but I am saying I generally don't like it.
>
> Have a fine day,
>
> John Vaughters
>

> On Friday, January 8, 2021, 8:53:14 AM EST, Pete Soper via TriEmbed <
> triembed at triembed.org> wrote:
>

> The web site has a meeting reminder now with bread crumbs to the Jitsi URL.
>
> The TriEmbed email list subscriptions have been (99.9%) monotonically
> decreasing for a few years. It is a shame the TAR list was lost in case
> a set difference could have been used for invitations to this list. So
> goes life.
>

> -Pete

Gregg Tracton: tired, retired & inappropriately unattired (PJ's)