[TriEmbed] Monday Mtg & email list

John Vaughters jvaughters04 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 8 08:31:13 CST 2021

It's a new decade, email lists just aren't kool anymore. Can't remember the last Trilug or TAR email. Over all the email lists in my life, TriEmbed is the last one that even has some activity. So Kudos to this group, no matter how small for keeping that torch and thanks to the organizers that keep it going.

I remember a discussion in my early 30's with a then retiree. This question I posed, "I wonder what technology will expire my participation in the world?" Turns out I have the answer. Social Media. `,~)

Of course like all young foolish peeps like I was, I thought, "My generation is more flexible, more adaptable to change because we grew up in a tech changing world?" I even floated the possibility in the conversation. But the truth is I knew human nature and history too well even then. I knew that most of us stop being the hip crowd at some point in life.

I just can't do social media. No interest there what so ever.

But there you have it, a generational divide. I do not mean to apply my thoughts to any single individual other than me, but I do think I am just an example of many in my generation. Most people end up being divided in some form or manner and technology is a big divider. Just like my Grandparents always needed their VCR clock set. Just like I hand my phone to my daughter to fix crap I just don't really care about. I can keep the lights on by maintaining power plants, but I could care less about the silly world of Social Media. But isn't that my divide? Of course it is.

Not saying I don't use it, but I am saying I generally don't like it.

Have a fine day,

John Vaughters