[TriEmbed] Looking for [FOSS CAD] recommendation

Brian triembed at undecidedgames.net
Thu Apr 23 10:13:20 CDT 2020

Jumping in late on this thread to add my $0.02 about FreeCAD.

It has its issues, a couple of which I'll get into, but I've found it
the easiest to get used to (obviously a totally personal opinion).

Two big things to be aware of:

1. It's not hard, on a moderately-complex model, to break the model in
some way ("broken" meaning no longer able to calculate and update the
result correctly after changes at some intermediate level).  It's best
to wait to the very end to add fillets and chamfers, for example.

2. Support for multi-body assembly is still extremely limited.  My
suggestion if you want to construct mechanical systems is to skip
FreeCAD and go straight to a commercial package.  I use Fusion360 on a
Windows platform that I fire up for pretty much no other purpose aside
from gaming.  Fusion360 is free for hobbyists, but is cloud-based, so
they can pull the plug on you whenever they want (like Alibre did; long
ago, its hobbyist version was free).

Support on the FreeCAD forums is very good; developer involvement is high.

HTH,
-Brian