[TriEmbed] Best way to get several composite video streams into a raspberry pi?

Brian lugmail at undecidedgames.com
Fri Jan 4 09:36:07 CST 2019

Hey gang,

I recently bought a box truck for my lighting business to schlep my gear
around.  I'm in the process of putting cameras at strategic places
around the exterior so I can see what I'm about to smash into whilst
maneuvering.  Rather than have a dozen[0] little LCD monitors scattered
around the cab, I thought "hey, this might be a cool project for a RasPI
and OpenGL ES to make a poor-man's bird's-eye-view system like they sell
to big rigs for $gazillion!"

All the little cheap backup cameras have NTSC composite outputs.  I'm
looking for the best/cheapest way to get several of those signals into
the RasPI as, ideally, /dev/videoN devices that I can use as texture
sources in OpenGL.

It seemed to me that I should be able to find something that has a USB
plug on one end and a yellow RCA socket on the other for less than, say,
$20.  There are a ton of capture devices on the market in the $20-30
range that take in video and stereo audio, but (1) that's just a bit too
expensive for this project since I'll need one for each camera and (2) I
don't need audio capture.

Soooo, anybody know of a good, cheap USB composite video capture device
that might fit the scenario I've described?

Thanks!
-Brian

[0] - A dozen is an exaggeration, but easily at least 4 or 5.