[TriEmbed] Scopes, probulators, and matchmaking

Brian triembed at undecidedgames.net
Fri Jul 27 09:22:48 CDT 2018

Hi Mauricio!

My advice would be to go with an off-the-shelf probe and just not worry
about the impedance mismatch; you can do a few calibration tests with
known signal sources if you want to find the correction curves.  That
said, read on...

The very best cable for the job would be small coax such as RG-159.
However, you'd be hard-pressed to find that locally, I think, and it's
probably not too cheap in the lengths you'd want.

You could try microphone cable, at a cost of having a fairly bulky lead
on your probe and possibly fairly low bandwidth.  Mic cable is typically
two-conductor twisted pair plus a shield, and generally designed to
perform best with audio frequencies.  I'd run signal and ground along
the pair, then connect the shield to chassis ground only on the scope end.

You might consider flexible Cat-5 cable.  You'll have a bunch of unused
conductors, but better bandwidth than your typical mic cable.

As far as impedance matching, that can be done as simply as a
resistor-divider network, or with a transformer, or with an active
op-amp circuit.  Again, the determining factors will be the signal
quality and bandwidth you require.  A simple resistor network is cheap,
but will likely be an entrypoint for environmental noise (EMI) and will
divide the signal you see (with the impedances you've named, it would
make your 1X probe effectively 2X).  A transformer would be expensive
and useless for measuring DC.  Your best bet would probably be to find
an active impedance-matching servo circuit, which you could tune for the
bandwidth and noise-rejection you need, at the cost of, well, cost!

On the other hand, unless you're measuring quite high frequencies, the
reflections caused by the impedance mismatch are not likely to be a
problem; you'll only observe a lower-than-expected signal level, and
there are equations (that do not live in my head) to help determine what
the difference would be.

In any case, good luck!

Cheers,
-Brian