[TriEmbed] Stepper motor help

Craig Cook cncook001 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 22 20:52:50 CST 2018

I have a project where I need to move a stepper motor, it needs to push a 1/4 inch rope through a roller.
I have one of these working: https://www.adafruit.com/product/324 but it seems to lack pushing power.  If I help pull the the rope it works well.  I think I need a more powerful stepper.
I also have one of these: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PNEQI7W/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1  (17HS16-2004S1)

I am using this to drive them: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B014KMHSW6/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza
I think it should work. My power supply says it is DC output 12 V, 3.33A Max. (I think it came from an old laptop or printer)

With no pressure on the Adifruit stepper it seems to work. When I try the other stepper, it gets lots of pauses, the power light on the L298N flashes on sometimes and the stepper hums like it is trying to move.
I'm using an Arduino Uno to control everything.
When the larger stepper is trying to run I measure around 3 V at the power terminals on the L298N, around 0.01 mA (using breadboard jumper wires to connect power supply to controller).
Do I need a different motor controller? Should I find a different stepper? Should I buy a bench power supply?

Thanks
Craig