[TriEmbed] Stepper motor help

Rodney Radford ncgadgetry at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 22:08:23 CST 2018

My first thought is I wonder if the stepper is wired up correctly. Both of
those are 4 wire steppers, or basically two separate coils and they have to
be hooked up correctly to 'step' or sequence the power order to the coils.
If not, the stepper will possibly hum, may even jerk occasionally, but will
not rotate.

Next is how are you driving the stepper motor input, as it is possible it
is not wired up correctly or sequenced correctly. Are you using an Arduino
stepper program to drive it?

Any input you can provide on the wiring would be helpful to verify it is
wired correctly.

Next, steppers work best when the force applied against them is small and
constant - they don't have good holding torque, nor can they handle
jerkiness (uneven hold requirements). Typically you will see a stepper
driving a screw shaft against a nut - so the force is multiplied
significantly by the mechanical advantage of the screw drive.

It may be sufficient power, but more detail is needed about the pull on the
rope - what is the other end of the rope connected to? Can you quantify or
estimate the amount of pull expected on the rope?