[TriEmbed] Beagle Bone Blue - more peripherals for embedded systems

Rodney Radford ncgadgetry at gmail.com
Sun Jul 23 07:17:54 CDT 2017

There is a new Beagle Bone board now - Blue - that contains some very nice
features for robotics or anything that needs motor controls.

https://beagleboard.org/blue

Here is the list of sensors:

   - Battery: 2-cell LiPo support with balancing, 9-18V charger input
   - Wireless: 802.11bgn, Bluetooth 4.1 and BLE
   - Motor control: 8 6V servo out, 4 DC motor out, 4 quadrature encoder in
   - Sensors: 9 axis IMU, barometer
   - Connectivity: HighSpeed USB 2.0 client and host
   - User interface: 11 user programmable LEDs, 2 user programmable buttons
   - Easy connect interfaces for adding additional sensors such as: GPS,
   DSM2 radio, UARTs, SPI, I2C, 1.8V analog, 3.3V GPIOs

The motors support 1.2A continous and 3.2A peak and are driven by two of
the following motor control chips:

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9457

The quadrature signals are counted in hardware with no CPU required.

A 'C' API is available for communicating with all the peripherals:

http://www.strawsondesign.com/#!manual-dc-motors
Available and in stock now at $79.99:

https://www.element14.com/community/docs/DOC-84044

Looks like I will be buying a new toy soon as this will be the perfect
board to control my four wheel mecanum robot. I just wished the motor specs
were a bit higher as the motors I am using are right on the edge of what is
allowed (250mA free run, stall is 2.4A) and I don't want to risk burning
out an $80 board on a stall. However, I could easily push the motor drivers
to their own board, with heavier specs, and still come out ahead with
everything else on this board.