[TriEmbed] (Amazon) Dash FCC info and model corrections

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Tue Jul 26 12:52:36 CDT 2016

(excuse the repetition, but this will avoid complete bewilderment if
somebody starts reading about the subject at this point)

The rev 2 Dash button labeled "JK29LP" on the back has a replaceable
battery if the bottom piece of plastic is cut off. It's in a dead-plain
battery holder (AAA alkaline). It has Atmel MCU and radio, and is
currently opaque with respect to redoing it's firmware. The rev 1 one
labeled "JK76PL" has a lithium battery that is welded to PCB
connections, with ST MCU and Broadcom radio that is as easy to program
as an EMW3162 ('cause the hardware is identical!). Instructions for the
firmware programming of a rev 1 are on Adafruit
<https://learn.adafruit.com/dash-hacking-bare-metal-stm32-programming/overview>.
IMO it would be close to trivial to replace the welded on lithium
battery with a connector for an alternative battery. As Shane pointed
out, the rev 2 is more power efficient to compensate for the wimpier
battery.

Unless I'm mistaken the IoT button won't be shipped until August 23rd.
I'd bet a box of donuts it's based on, if not the same rev 2 Dash guts,
something very very close. The AWS web page
<https://aws.amazon.com/iot/button/> describing it says this and the
picture makes it seem identical on the outside, but looking closely at
the picture I see where the removable bottom piece allows getting to the
battery holder. This convenience is not worth $15. :-) It makes perfect
sense for the Dash buttons, which would ordinarily be used at most a
couple dozen times a YEAR, to have the bottom sealed. But with an app
that calls for multiple button pushes a day there may be an issue. If
the guys doing the Dash teardowns can figure out how to swap the IoT
button firmware into a rev 2 Dash button, they'll no doubt publish that.
In the meantime, my wagon is hitched to the rev 2 Dash buttons with the
intention of replacing the top layer of firmware while also playing with
the ARP-detection angle for simple functionality.

One specific goal is to get arpalert installed on the Splatspace server
and  donate a button or two for experimentation there. I can think of
multiple immediate uses for these buttons at Splatspace, but also think
blocking their access to Amazon will be desirable.

-Pete