[TriEmbed] old versions of Eagle?

Martin Brooke martin.brooke at duke.edu
Fri Jan 22 08:42:34 CST 2016

I think saying Egale is intuitive is a big stretch.   I think you confuse
familiarity with ease of use.
I do not know any CAD tool I would call intuitive except to those who
already use it or wrote it!

I have done a medium sized PCB or two on KiCad and had a class of 25 learn
it several years in a row.  It is fine and can be learned in a couple of
weeks.  It is wise to do gradually larger and more complex designs from
scratch.

There is an underlying design model that you need to learn and stick to for
ease of use.

It did not support array modularity, like an IC design tool,last time I
used it.  So you need to keep the design flat not hierarchical.

Learning the DRC and how it works is well worth it but takes some trials to
get the flow.

Finding library elements for parts usually requires accessing the online
community which is large.  I had really good luck with this.  I also
learned the library editor fast, students and I create parts quickly after
a few weeks of use.

If you want to design more than 2 layers and larger boards, and don't have
the funds for full Eagle ($900 educational price) KiCad is great.

Martin