[TriEmbed] old versions of Eagle?

Brian triembed at undecidedgames.net
Sun Jan 24 17:26:59 CST 2016

On 1/22/2016 9:42 AM, Martin Brooke via TriEmbed wrote:
> I think saying Egale is intuitive is a big stretch.

If that's directed at me, let me clarify in my defense:

Not so sure I said Eagle WAS intuitive; just that KiCAD is less so.
Here's a comparative example:

Task: Change out one part for another with a different footprint.

Eagle: Delete the part in the schematic.  Add a new part and wire it up.
  PCB layout brings in changes automagically; place the new footprint
and route to it.

KiCAD: Delete the part in the schematic.  Add a new part and wire it up.
  Click the button in the schematic editor to launch the footprint
selector.  Choose a footprint and click Save in the footprint selector.
  Click the Generate Netlist button in the schematic editor (which is
three buttons to the left of the footprint selector button, in a
visually separate button group, which I submit is
*counter*intuitive--two consecutive steps in a tool labeled in English
should be side-by-side in English reading order...or at a minimum
side-by-side).  Click the Read Netlist button in the PCB layout editor.
  Delete the old footprint and the traces routed to it.  Place the new
footprint and route to it.

Other headache-inducing problems with current KiCAD:
- Horrible handling of github-sourced libraries.  No automatic caching,
and automatic attempts to re-sync every library, every time the library
is accessed.  If the library can't be synced for some reason, it's
completely unavailable (AFTER waiting for timeouts).
- No control over the default project directory (that I have found)
- Can't reshape a graphic line in cvpcb; must delete and redraw (e.g.
pcb edge cuts..miss your click by one snap distance?  start over.)

The defense rests. :-D