[TriEmbed] Avnet and Premier Farnell aka Newark Electronics, MCM and Eagle

Scott Hall scottghall1 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 14:59:17 CST 2016

Back in 1978 through 1982 I worked parttime in an electronics parts
warehouse, Fort Wayne Electronics, which was bought by Graham Electronics
of Indianapolis at that time.  While I was in college, the huge warehouses
at both Indy and Ft. Wayne were merged into Newark Electronics.  Later they
got merged in the big Polaski, IL warehouse which only closed just a few
years ago.  That was back when I had to memorize the location of over 3
million part numbers -- what was on each aisle, shelf and bin, for
receiving, order pulling, and shipping.  C&K Precision was just one of the
many vendor lines of tools carried.

I noticed on the Avnet website that Tech Data, a distributor for VAR's I
used with my old consulting company in the late 19080's, bought a big chunk
of Avnet -- their solutions division.

- sgh

On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 12:28 PM, Pete Soper via TriEmbed <
triembed at triembed.org> wrote:

> Two months ago Avnet ($27B FY sales) finished buying Premier Farnell
> ($1B), a Leeds, England-based corporation that had US-based pieces of its
> organization Newark Element14, and the Ohio-based retail-facing entity MCM
> Electronics. I say "had" because Avnet ultimately has them now, not to
> imply they're going anywhere unless/until Avnet makes changes. MCM is a
> "non-core brand", as is "AVID Technologies" (that is somehow allowed to use
> this name despite the major collision with the big media company called
> Avid Technologies. Try launching APPLE as distinct from Apple and see what
> happens, hah!).
>
> In 2009 Premier Farnell bought Cadsoft, the creator of the Eagle PCB CAD
> software. They seem to have nicely managed this, as Eagle hasn't been
> turned upside down with aggressive feature/UI changes (except for the
> autorouter), nor have they messed with the pricing/licensing as far as I
> could tell the last time I looked at that (last year). And this explains
> why the Element14 web site has a ton of Eagle component libraries.
>
> On a personal note, I had gotten "trained out of" buying from Newark
> despite their fantastic mega warehouse in Gafney, SC, because frequently
> what I wanted didn't sit in that warehouse, it sat in Leeds and Newark
> wanted $20 to get it to the US. They seem to have dropped this surcharge
> now, so the only downside is an extra few days to get the stock moved. I
> recently bought some super fantastic CK wire strippers this way at a better
> price than what I could find from US sources. The UK's recent
> self-inflicted head wound changed the price equation, of course, and the
> currency rate-related differences in some Newark prices might persist with
> Avnet.
>
> -Pete
>
> On 12/05/2016 01:55 PM, Scott Hall via TriEmbed wrote:
>
> MCM now *is* Element14 / Newark.

Scott G. Hall
Raleigh, NC, USA
scottghall1 at gmail.com