[TriEmbed] Avnet and Premier Farnell aka Newark Electronics, MCM and Eagle

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Tue Dec 6 11:28:36 CST 2016

Two months ago Avnet ($27B FY sales) finished buying Premier Farnell
($1B), a Leeds, England-based corporation that had US-based pieces of
its organization Newark Element14, and the Ohio-based retail-facing
entity MCM Electronics. I say "had" because Avnet ultimately has them
now, not to imply they're going anywhere unless/until Avnet makes
changes. MCM is a "non-core brand", as is "AVID Technologies" (that is
somehow allowed to use this name despite the major collision with the
big media company called Avid Technologies. Try launching APPLE as
distinct from Apple and see what happens, hah!).

In 2009 Premier Farnell bought Cadsoft, the creator of the Eagle PCB CAD
software. They seem to have nicely managed this, as Eagle hasn't been
turned upside down with aggressive feature/UI changes (except for the
autorouter), nor have they messed with the pricing/licensing as far as I
could tell the last time I looked at that (last year). And this explains
why the Element14 web site has a ton of Eagle component libraries.

On a personal note, I had gotten "trained out of" buying from Newark
despite their fantastic mega warehouse in Gafney, SC, because frequently
what I wanted didn't sit in that warehouse, it sat in Leeds and Newark
wanted $20 to get it to the US. They seem to have dropped this surcharge
now, so the only downside is an extra few days to get the stock moved. I
recently bought some super fantastic CK wire strippers this way at a
better price than what I could find from US sources. The UK's recent
self-inflicted head wound changed the price equation, of course, and the
currency rate-related differences in some Newark prices might persist
with Avnet.

-Pete