[TriEmbed] Need help with a beginner circuit design

Brian triembed at undecidedgames.net
Wed Oct 28 09:42:29 CDT 2015

Hi Dave,

Let me echo what others have said, this is a fine forum for your
inquiry.  So: Where is your high voltage coming from?  Are you planning
to generate it from the same battery that is powering the rest of the
circuit?

I'm not sure the MAX1771 is going to meet your needs, if you're looking
for 80VDC.  I'd suggest instead another 555 astable vibrator driving the
8-ohm side of a 8/1000-ohm audio matching transformer.  There's some
Ohm's Law and transformer math to be done to get just the voltage you
want, but the basic idea is the 555 chops your battery voltage (9v?),
then the matching transformer steps it up.  On the output side, you'd
outfit a rectifier and some tank capacitors to smooth it back out to DC.

Some important considerations:

How steady do you need your HV to be?  Can you tolerate some ripple?

How important is the actual HV potential?  Is 80VDC an important target
or could it be higher than that?

As the HV is switched on/off, can your application handle it ramping
rather than switching?

As an aside, out of a sense of due diligence, does your design include
appropriate measures to keep the HV out of reach?

-B