[TriEmbed] nRF51822 sniffer experience

Alex Davis alexd at matrixwide.com
Tue Oct 27 14:51:39 CDT 2015

Anyone have experience using the Adafruit nRF51822 BLE sniffer board? If
you have it, could I borrow it?

I have some Xiaomi Mi-Light knockoff RGBW BLE LED lamps, which use a
smartphone app for control. The app hasn't seen an update in a while,
and despite pleas from users, it has not been update to work with iOS
9.x. I figure I will try my hand at reverse-engineering the protocol, as
described here:
https://learn.adafruit.com/reverse-engineering-a-bluetooth-low-energy-light-bulb/overview

In case you're wondering, it seems a 'regular' BLE dongle can't sniff
traffic. I've been using the BLE packet capture developer option on my
Android device along with the Android version of the Mi-Light app, but
it's an cumbersome process to move the btsnoop_hci.log file off and onto
another computer for wireshark.

Alex
--
"The theater of noise is proof of our potential."

You won't find me on Facebook.