[TriEmbed] upcoming presentations

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Sat Oct 24 17:17:02 CDT 2015

I'm totally OK with there being no scheduled presentation for November.
A focused yak and show and tell session would be a nice change.

However, if you'd like to give a talk about something please share your
idea on the list so *the group* can help set the agenda and coordinate
things.

Speaking of, I want to make some real presentations in the future. Here
are details about two.

I invested in a Kickstarter that is on track to create a stand alone
speech recognition Arduino shield. It's called "MOVI
<https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/310865303/movi-a-standalone-speech-recognizer-shield-for-ard>".
I'll be giving a presentation about this assuming the one I get works
half as well as expected. My goal is to make my workshop able to deal
with commands, for example, "Room: give me some light. Room: more. Room:
I'm leaving for two hours." My Odroid C-1 has been running as a server
for over six months without a reboot and should be able to make sense
out of the raw data coming from the MOVI, a handful of PIR sensors, etc,
with additional single board computers mediating things.

I guestimate January or February for this.

I'm also doing some precision time measurements, looping back on a
project I started quite a while back. I have a rubidium vapor standard,
a decent HP counter and other gadgets these days and I'm exploring a way
to leverage software and cheap temperature measurement to turn cheap
clock chips into cheap but precise clock chips. This could turn out to
be a windmill jousting session and it's really aimed at forcing me to
learn how to design 74HC series logic, but I figure some of the
measurements and setups might be interesting to share. This would be
also be aimed at early next year.