[TriEmbed] Name these algorithms

Carl Nobile carl.nobile at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 08:39:23 CDT 2015

Pete,

I did some work once with an 'unbiased standard deviation' which may be
able to solve some of your issues. I implemented this in an Arduino
ultrasonic library I wrote some years ago at
http://wiki.tetrasys-design.net/HCSR04Ultrasonic. You could pull my code
apart and take out the standard deviation stuff. This code is written in
C++ and uses classes.

~Carl

On Sat, Oct 24, 2015 at 5:49 PM, Pete Soper via TriEmbed <
triembed at triembed.org> wrote:

> Say I have a sensor for which a measured baseline signal can be used as a
> steady state but some predefined deviation greater than a given amount can
> can be defined "interesting" by virtue of an interrupt. With the interrupt
> can come a sequence of samples (either polled or by reusing the same or
> different deviation for an interrupt) before the sensor reading changes are
> declared ended, returning to the old or a new normal baseline level, and
> the process is set up to be repeated. Meanwhile, between interrupts and
> sample capturing tasks, a set of samples is compared with previously
> defined "signatures" to confirm that a set of samples is "complete" and a
> <something> has or has not been detected. I realize that in many cases
> there has to be a "moving window" to do with matching up samples and
> signatures: I'm just
>
> I'm looking for the math taxonomy to do with this for making filters and
> pattern matchers, but also practical examples that express specific
> calculations for use cases.
>
> Example: A photodetector w a programmable comparator that triggers an mcu
> interrupt when a light level is above or below threshold, and arrangements
> for detecting these "signatures":
>  . The moon obscured momentarily by a cloud
>  . A passing car's headlights
>  . Dawn
>  . A cigarette lighter lighting a cigarette
>  . A cigarette lighter used in "music concert style"
>  . Lightning
>
> I guess the ideal would be a few Wikipedia references to help me begin my
> education, but some practical examples that allow correlating the math with
> code that implements the math would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Pete

Carl J. Nobile (Software Engineer)
carl.nobile at gmail.com