[TriEmbed] Name these algorithms

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Sat Oct 24 16:49:01 CDT 2015

Say I have a sensor for which a measured baseline signal can be used as
a steady state but some predefined deviation greater than a given amount
can can be defined "interesting" by virtue of an interrupt. With the
interrupt can come a sequence of samples (either polled or by reusing
the same or different deviation for an interrupt) before the sensor
reading changes are declared ended, returning to the old or a new normal
baseline level, and the process is set up to be repeated. Meanwhile,
between interrupts and sample capturing tasks, a set of samples is
compared with previously defined "signatures" to confirm that a set of
samples is "complete" and a <something> has or has not been detected. I
realize that in many cases there has to be a "moving window" to do with
matching up samples and signatures: I'm just

I'm looking for the math taxonomy to do with this for making filters and
pattern matchers, but also practical examples that express specific
calculations for use cases.

Example: A photodetector w a programmable comparator that triggers an
mcu interrupt when a light level is above or below threshold, and
arrangements for detecting these "signatures":
  . The moon obscured momentarily by a cloud
  . A passing car's headlights
  . Dawn
  . A cigarette lighter lighting a cigarette
  . A cigarette lighter used in "music concert style"
  . Lightning

I guess the ideal would be a few Wikipedia references to help me begin
my education, but some practical examples that allow correlating the
math with code that implements the math would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Pete