[TriEmbed] [TAR] New free Atmel Studio 7 development studio now lets you input Arduino sketches.

jonjwolfe at anibit.com jonjwolfe at anibit.com
Mon Oct 19 19:56:09 CDT 2015

As someone who has been using Atmel's IDE's for quite a while, the
ability to use Arduino code is not new, though it may be more seamless
now than it has been in the past. Visual Micro has had a plug-in to
allow native Arduino project handling within Microsoft's Visual Studio
(and Atmel's IDE which is based on it since V5). I'm not going to debate
whether or not Microsoft are big bad meanies, but quite simply, Visual
Studio rocks and they give it away for free. They also give away the
core "Shell" and SDK for it for free to where you could customize it to
your own platform, compiler, and your own language. This is precisely
what Atmel's IDE is. So it is technically closed-source, proprietary,
but gratis, and they give you the tools to customize the hell out of it,
that should count for something.

Speaking for myself as seasoned C/C++, I've always found the Arduino
IDE's build system vexing, arbitrary, and severely limiting. You cannot
control how the files are autommagically combined, and you cannot
organize your files in to a typical project hierarchy with subfolders.
Even with the new ability in Atmel Studio to directly build Arduino
projects, you're better off in the long run converting to a C/C++
project.

It is not that difficult to "de-arduinoize" an existing arduino project
while still using the Arduino libraries and platform, then you can have
the best of both worlds, the Arduino libraries are quite convenient,
once you learn its quirks and pitfalls, and you can use a real project
organization with proper code separation. Up until very recently, you
couldn't even have too many files in your project or the Arduino IDE
would not be able to properly show them all in tabs. I did a
presentation for Triembed a few years ago on Atmel Studio, I'd be happy
to do another one, and focus on how to convert a Arduino project to a
C++ project. They always say the "Arduino language" is based on C++, but
it really *is* C++. You can use any C++ construct in an Arduino sketch,
and you're subject to the same rules of C++. The only thing the Arduino
framework/software platform gives you (besides the vexing file globbing
pre-processor) is a bunch of macros that make things more convenient
than using libavr's register definitions directly. You can still use all
the macros in a "de-arduinoized" C++ project, so you literally loose
nothing, except not having to be explicit about your code's
inter-dependencies, which is a good thing.