[TriEmbed] [TAR] New free Atmel Studio 7 development studio now lets you input Arduino sketches.

Carl Nobile carl.nobile at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 14:48:26 CDT 2015

I agree with Rodney, in no way is the use of Linux small compared to
windows in either the professional development and DIY communities. If you
factor in the normal user and office workers then yes Linux has a very
small footprint, but professional developers and hobbyists this is no
longer the case. Just look at all the Raspberry Pis that have been sold in
the last two or so years.

On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 3:10 PM, Rodney Radford ncgadgetry at gmail.com
[trianglerobotics] <trianglerobotics at yahoogroups.com> wrote:

> Fred,
>
> I would agree with you that the money from Arduino is just a small portion
> of what Atmel makes off it's products, but remember that most future
> engineers start first as a hobbiest.  That is why so many companies give
> student discounts or freebies, to get them to like their products before
> they turn into the engineers that eventually make the products that will
> bring in the money.
>
> As for Microsoft being the predominant OS, that is debatable now. Take a
> look at the chart on this page (
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems) that
> shows that Windows is trailing Android, and Android is Linux under the
> covers. While I suspect you were referring to desktop interfaces, it was
> only a few years ago that we would not have imagined that Linux would be so
> predominant in the handheld space - give Linux time, it is still growing.
>
> But even if the comment is true on the desktop, remember we are looking at
> the segment of the market that is tinkering in electronics - and that
> segment does lean more toward Linux than the traditional segment.
>

> On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 2:54 PM, Fred Ebeling <FEbeling at ecpdesigns.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I am always interested in others ideas on the “why and what fors” that
>> companies
>> do things.  I would have to guess if I was in marketing that Arduino
>> products are
>> not a big percentage of ATMELs bottom line.  They would more like to have
>> companies
>> that purchase 100K units a year, or a car company that purchases 10
>> million.
>> These companies are using the latest software, not the Arduino
>> environment.
>>
>> As for the choice of Microsoft operating system.   WAKE UP!!  you are in
>> a very small
>> minority that doe not use it!  (VERY SMALL)
>>
>> Fred Ebeling

Carl J. Nobile (Software Engineer)
carl.nobile at gmail.com