[TriEmbed] [TAR] New free Atmel Studio 7 development studio now lets you input Arduino sketches.

pete@soper.us pete at soper.us
Sun Oct 18 16:08:40 CDT 2015

That's an excellent, key point. It appears they make an extra pass and have implicit includes, as well as magic to do with libraries, all to liberate users from having to deal with lots of pesky details.
I've been using a make file for a long time, but I can't get by with forward references, while with the Arduino IDE it's as if they create and compile function prototypes ahead of the bodies on the fly, so the order of variable declarations and function bodies is not important: the build just works.
This and other compile/link details, especially with respect to "library search/build rules", and the real extent of differences from standard C++ is horribly documented. I'd love to be wrong: links to a treatment of this subject welcome.

Pete