[TriEmbed] Improvement over Molex crimp connectors?

Rick nm3g at triad.rr.com
Fri Oct 16 15:37:25 CDT 2015

Good afternoon Shane,

Please pass along the crimp terminal part number(s), as well as the tool
part number, and I'll see what I can dig up.

Usually, the insulation is captured by the rear tabs, and the bare
conductor by the shorter front tabs (with the contact mating surface
considered the front).

I've used the generic crimping tool as shown below:

Please note this tool costs about $60.00 from Newark (you may find the
price vary about 20% ... this is NOT the $8.95 tool).

If you look at the crimp openings, one end is a concave "tooth" the
other is an arc with a point in the middle ... or a double arc if you
wish. The tabs on the crimp terminal go into the double arc, this forces
the tabs around the wire and produce the double rounded top crimp. You
must use the appropriately sized opening (marked in mm on the tool) for
your crimp terminal; too large, and the wire will slide out of the
crimped terminal, too small and you will deform the terminal (if you see
shiny copper, or tightly folded tinned copper, you are using an opening
that is too small.

You can look at the data sheet for the individual crimp terminal, and it
should tell you what size to crimp both the bare wire portion, and the
insulation-holding portion (they can be different).

You need to use firm pressure and ensure the tool closes completely
(look below the hinge rivet and ensure the gap is closed the same as
when there is not terminal in the tool.

A proper crimp requires rather precise die, terminal, and wire
dimensions; you are cold-forming the terminal and wire to exclude oxygen
(called a gas-free connection) ... no oxygen, no oxidizing!

If you still can't make sense of things, feel free to e-mail or call
Molex; their applications engineering group is more than happy to help
you select the correct terminals, housings, crimp tool and tool die size
to use. I've been using my crimper for 15 years and have not had any
issues, once I identify the proper die size and make sure I'm using the
proper terminal for the wire size.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Rick

- There are no shortcuts, just delays until you do the job correctly -