[TriEmbed] Improvement over Molex crimp connectors?

Shane Trent shanedtrent at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 08:55:28 CDT 2015

Rick,

Sorry for the delay, I wanted to have the crimpers in front of me to verify
the model number (63819-0900). I knew they were Molex branded but Molex has
hundreds of chassis and die combinations. The application is 12V lights/USB
on a bicycle and the current measured just under an amp on Friday but that
was lights only, no load on the USB socket.

Crimpers
http://www.molex.com/molex/products/datasheet.jsp?part=active/0638190900_APPLICATION_TOOLIN.xml&channel=Products&Lang=en-US

Terminals
http://www.molex.com/molex/products/datasheet.jsp?part=active/0039000038_CRIMP_TERMINALS.xml&channel=Products&Lang=en-US

18 ga wire has insulation listed at 0.010", measured diameter 1.72 mm

20 ga wire has insulation listed at 1/32", measured diameter 2.50 mm

So the 18 ga and 20 ga both fall within the Molex spec for maximum diameter
(3.10 mm) of the insulation (max cable diameter). But switching from the 20
ga to the 18 ga provided a big improvement in the reliability measured via
pull test. The terminals also much less fussy when crimping with the
smaller diameter 18 ga cable.

Other Resources I found when looking for specs on Molex crimping.

Molex Crimper Specification Sheet
http://www.molex.com/pdm_docs/ats/ATS-638190900.pdf

Molex Quality Crimping Handbook
http://www.molex.com/pdm_docs/ats/TM-638000029.pdf

Molex Industrial Crimp Quality Handbook
http://www.molex.com/pdm_docs/ats/TM-640160065.pdf

Thank you to everyone who send suggestions on or off the list!

Shane