[TriEmbed] I2C range extension

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Fri Oct 2 09:25:45 CDT 2015

On 10/02/2015 09:33 AM, Grawburg via TriEmbed wrote:
> Since human hands must still plug/unplug RJ-type connectors there is a
> practical limitation as to how small they can be.  I'd hate to have to
> use a pair of tweezers and a magnifying head piece to plug my ethernet
> cable into a Pi or my desktop.  Size does matter. And, the older I get
> the less dexterity I have.

And where is the RadioShack needed for the adapters for those one room
school houses using RPIs in underdeveloped countries? It doesn't seem
mysterious why the Raspberry Pi folks use the most common, standard
connectors they can find (anybody else notice the main header matches
the old PC floppy disk drive signal cables?).

But I agree 100% with John's point that it seems impossible that there
would be no modern alternative to the RJ45 after all this time. I'll bet
there are some amusing gossip stories about attempts to change this
situation.

But going to the other extreme of build vs buy, the truth is that as
long as you can control impedance and deal with EMI if that's relevant
you can arrange your own connections. With amateur radio this is
standard operating procedure, most especially at high frequencies.