[TriEmbed] Recommended non-SMT Logic-Level MOSFETs for prototyping

Shane Trent shanedtrent at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 14:10:04 CDT 2015

Martin,

The Digikey search engine points to this as the lowest Rds (100 mOhm at
Fgs=5V) N-FET in a 4-pin DIP package ($1 for 1). At the rated 2.5 amps it
would be dissipating 0.63 Watts which sounds like a challenge on a
breadboard but feasible on a PCB with some extra copper for spreading the
heat.
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/IRLD024PBF/IRLD024PBF-ND/812492

You can use TO-220 or other SIP type packages on a breadboard. The Digikey
search engine found this TO-251A 30V N-FET with an Rds of 3.2 mOhms at
Vgs=4.5V, $0.81 for 1. The power dissipation should be very low until you
have well exceeded the current carrying capacity of your breadboard (0.08W
at 5 amps).
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/AOI510/785-1487-1-ND/3603498

Super low Rds in through-hole P-FET is much tougher. They get pricey fast.
This is the best bang for the buck P-FET I could find, -30V part, Rds = 10
mOhms at Vgs=-5V, $2.90 for 1. (0.25 Watts at 5 amps).
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/SUP53P06-20-E3/SUP53P06-20-E3-ND/2623103

Generally at TO-220 can dissipate around 1W without a heat-sink in free-air
without damage.

Shane

A blog about some of my projects.  http://fettricks.blogspot.com/