[TriEmbed] Recommended non-SMT Logic-Level MOSFETs for prototyping

Martin Brooke martin.brooke at duke.edu
Tue Jun 23 13:12:56 CDT 2015

​I would like your thoughts on *non-SMT* Logic Level MOSFETs that can plug
into a protoboard.

​I have been using:​

​NMOS​  IRL2703PBF
<http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/IRL2703PBF/IRL2703PBF-ND/811700>
​  $1.74 for 1​ and
​PMOS​ IRLIB9343PBF
<http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?vendor=0&keywords=IRLIB9343PBF>
​ $1.37 for 1​, they are quite similar in performance.

​These will fit (with a shove) in a regular protoboard and can carry a lot
of current .  So they have been sort of a work horse for just boosting a
microcontrollers switching capability to drive a motor
or other high current device quickly.

​But is seems there should be better devices.  The above devices tend to be
overkill in current and a 4-DIP or 6-DIP package would be much nicer.  But
everything I have found had too high a threshold voltage PMOS for logic
control. I would like a similar NMOS and PMOS at least for threshold
voltage magnitude (around 1-2V) and package type.
 If I could find some around 100mA to 1A it would be ideal I think.

​I found this nice 4-DIP NMOS ​
IRLD120PBF
<http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/IRLD120PBF/IRLD120PBF-ND/812490>
​, for $.76 and w
e have been using this similar 4-DIP NMOS
IRLD014PBF
<http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/IRLD014PBF/IRLD014PBF-ND/812481>
​ for $.92 for a few years, I just wish there was a PMOS like them.
​
​
This pair of NMOS and PMOS in a 8-DIP ALD1115PAL
<http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/ALD1115PAL/1014-1044-ND/2414320> for
 $2.02 looks OK but they are too low current (few mA) to be useful.

​Not interested in BJTs for this.  Hard to beat a MOSFET ​for simplicity of
drive and you can put them in parallel without resistor degeneration.

Cheers,