[TriEmbed] Power FETs Vol 25, Issue 27

Grawburg grawburg at myglnc.com
Thu Jun 18 16:12:16 CDT 2015

So, if I use a 220 ohm GPIO-Gate resistor and a 100k pull-down I should have about 3.3 V to the gate.

Brian

Cc: "TriEmbed Discussion" <triembed at triembed.org>
Date: 06/18/15 04:25 PM
Subject: Re: Re[2]: [TriEmbed] Power FETs Vol 25, Issue 27

Brian,

I think we may have figured out why your 33k gate resistor did not work. You want a very weak (high resistance) pull-down on the gate to ensure the FET turns off when you remove the drive signal (and at power up). A 10k pull-down would turn the FET off quickly but would require a much stronger signal to turn the FET on. Without any pull-down resistor, enough charge could accumulate on the gate to randomly turn on the FET or it could take a long time, from seconds to minutes, for the FET to turn off once you remove the drive signal.

As, someone mentioned earlier on this thread, the pull-down resistor and the I/O pin resistor form a voltage divider. So if you have a 10k pull-down and a 33k I/O resistor between the pin and the gate, then the max voltage on gate is 10k/(10k +33k) * Vout.  So for a 3.3V logic output your gate voltage would have been around 0.77V so the FET would not have been close to turning on.  With a 3.3k I/O resistor the voltage would have been around 2.5V, which is still not enough to cause the FET to conduct very well.