[TriEmbed] Power FETs Vol 25, Issue 27

Shane Trent shanedtrent at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 15:25:29 CDT 2015

Brian,

I think we may have figured out why your 33k gate resistor did not work.
You want a very weak (high resistance) pull-down on the gate to ensure the
FET turns off when you remove the drive signal (and at power up). A 10k
pull-down would turn the FET off quickly but would require a much stronger
signal to turn the FET on. Without any pull-down resistor, enough charge
could accumulate on the gate to randomly turn on the FET or it could take a
long time, from seconds to minutes, for the FET to turn off once you remove
the drive signal.

As, someone mentioned earlier on this thread, the pull-down resistor and
the I/O pin resistor form a voltage divider. So if you have a 10k pull-down
and a 33k I/O resistor between the pin and the gate, then the max voltage
on gate is 10k/(10k +33k) * Vout.  So for a 3.3V logic output your gate
voltage would have been around 0.77V so the FET would not have been close
to turning on.  With a 3.3k I/O resistor the voltage would have been around
2.5V, which is still not enough to cause the FET to conduct very well.

Shane

--
A blog about some of my projects.  http://fettricks.blogspot.com/