[TriEmbed] Transistor as switch

Shane Trent shanedtrent at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 11:20:13 CDT 2015

Brian,

It looks like you picked a good FET for your application. On the datasheet
it appears the FET will be turning on strongly by Vgs = 3V and should be
good for a couple of amps. I am not sure why your FET circuit did not work
with the 3.3k  gate resistor. The 3.3k would slow down the switching a
little but should not keep it from working.

You should never need a BJT between the Pi and FET unless you need to
switch a higher voltage (non-logic level FET) or you want faster switching
speed. The image below shows a kind of standard configuration for driving a
low-side (switching the load's connection to ground). The diode should be
across the motor leads if possible. The R1 pull-down resistor is only
needed if you are not actively pulling-down the gate to turn off the FET.
Note that if you do use a pull-down to turn off the FET then the value of
any resistor between the GPIO pin and the gate becomes much more important
because it becomes a voltage divider between the output pin and the gate.
Your 33 ohms would work well with a 10k pull-down resistor.

Shane

A blog about some of my projects.  http://fettricks.blogspot.com/