[TriEmbed] Transistor as switch

Glen Smith mrglenasmith at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 18:20:51 CDT 2015

Brian,

One of the things that I was looking for help with at the most recent
meeting was driving a motor with an Arduino. Gene and Shane both took a
look at the circuit I was using and said basically the same thing. Shane
followed up with an email, in which he pointed to this web site and circuit
diagram:
http://bildr.org/2011/03/high-power-control-with-arduino-and-tip120/

I am using the TIP121 (a slightly higher voltage capacity version of the
TIP120 shown) and while I have not had a chance to get back to this, have
every expectation that it will work fine. The TIP120, 121 and 122
Darlington pair transistors are widely used for this very function and are
pretty cheap.

Glen