[TriEmbed] Transistor as switch

Carl Nobile carl.nobile at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 18:13:02 CDT 2015

Brian,

You should know that a relay has some of the same issues as a motor will,
so you will definitely need the diode across the relay coil. The diode
needs to go in the opposite direction as the current flow to block the
reverse voltage.

Carl

On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 7:08 PM, Grawburg via TriEmbed <
triembed at triembed.org> wrote:

> Because this is a project for kids <14 I think I'll introduce them to a
> relay.  The project already has a transistor to operate an LED in
> conjunction with a Dallas one-wire temperature probe to indicate high
> temperature. The relay will turn on the motor so that the kids will see two
> ways to control devices externally powered (a flashing LED & the motor).  I
> guess I could consider a MOSFET, but I think it's more than I want to
> tackle at this point ... class is next week.
>
> Thanks for your comments, guys.
>

> Brian

Carl J. Nobile (Software Engineer)
carl.nobile at gmail.com