[TriEmbed] Transistor as switch

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Mon Jun 15 18:21:37 CDT 2015

Shouldn't a saw be able to cut down a tree? Is there a difference
between a saw that will cut a limb the size of a finger vs the base of a
tree 12 feet in diameter? But also, what if it's a sweet gum that wants
to grab the blade and kick the saw and its operator back into the next
county vs a sawing operation involving balsa wood?

Simple DC motors are basically dead shorts while they're starting up.
So, momentarily, the transistor has to be able to put enough current
into the motor to get it started. Divide that by the gain ("Hfe" from
the transistor data sheet) and you get the current that has to go into
the front end of the transistor (to/from the base to emitter circuit,
depending on NPN or PNP) to get the back end (to/from collector to
emitter circuit) to conduct enough current. In the real world a "five
volt" motor will often run at a lower voltage, and that corresponds to a
lower starting current. The real requirements are all over the place,
but a 2N3904 is a very, very wimpy transistor for many motors. But the
other, important factor, is that as the motor's commutator (for a simple
motor) is switching current from one set of windings to the next, the
circuit delivering current is seeing high voltages spikes caused by the
collapsing of the motor winding's magnetic fields (if I didn't word that
right, please, somebody, jump in on this). The peak voltages that can be
seen by the transistor in this situation can be fierce: way WAY WAY
higher than what the transistor is rated to tolerate. This is why you
see backwards rectifier circuits across the loads, as well as
resistor/capacitor networks, varistors, and many other things designed
to "snub" the back EMF (electromotive force) currents that come with
inductive loads (imagine the coils of a motor being the prototypical
inductance).

And relays are motors, as Carl said. And Robert G is right: MOSFETS
(with internal or external protection diodes) were made for this
application.

-Pete