[TriEmbed] Today's lesson. HAKKO FX-888 soldering iron tip is GROUNDED to the AC ground.

Shane Trent shanedtrent at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 22:15:19 CST 2015

Just wanted to share that re-learned that the HAKKO FX-888 soldering iron
tip is connected to the AC ground (which is the way you want an ESD safe
iron to be wired). I was using a DigiSpark processor to add a feature to an
electric mattress pad that uses a line-connected power supply.

I went to touch up the solder joint on one of the wire-wrap wires
connecting the I/O pin to the board. I had just touched the tip of the iron
to the joint when a brilliant flash of light reminded me that I had not
removed the power from the system before heating the joint.

It looks and smells like I let the smoke out of an over-voltage protection
diode on the ATtiny85. But it could have been or included the voltage
regulator. The power LED does not come on when I plug the board into a USB
port. I might have vaporized a trace too.

Learn on my dime!

Shane

--
A blog about some of my projects.  http://fettricks.blogspot.com/