[TriEmbed] Windows 7 (and 8) users FYI: Msoft preparing to change 10 upgrade policy again

jonjwolfe at anibit.com jonjwolfe at anibit.com
Tue Dec 8 10:12:56 CST 2015

Same here, I've got 7 machines at my house running Windows 10, one of
them is almost 10 years old, and it runs faster than the original
OS(Vista). If you're upgrading from 8/8.1 the risk of anything breaking
is quite low. I have two machines that started life running Win 7, and I
haven't noticed anything broken on those machines.

The only Windows 10 specific major hiccup I ran into so far was some
quirks in Virtual Box's networking (with Win 10 as the host OS), but it
was fixed with a newer version of Virtual Box. I also have a Windows
tablet that originally had 8.1 on it, and it's the only device I feel a
slight remorse over upgrading to 10. I think Windows 8.1 was a better
experience for small screen touch devices than Windows 10, and it's the
only device that seems slower after the upgrade.

I can vouch though that many of the "non main stream" types of
applications we tend to run as embedded tinkerers run just find under
Win 10.

A couple new things with Windows 10 that are a good idea for "the
unwashed masses" that might annoy the control freak power users are the
forced system updates (you can no longer just choose to not install
system updates), and the forced always-on antivirus (this one you can
disable totally with a registry hack).