[TriEmbed] MOSFET or Relay

Brian triembed at undecidedgames.net
Mon Dec 7 10:05:37 CST 2015

One important note on SSRs: If you're switching DC, make sure you get a
DC-rated SSR.  Many AC-rated SSRs have zero-cross circuits to minimize
switching noise; this means that once the drive signal is received, the
relay waits until the voltage across its "contacts" crosses zero before
it actually turns on.  Obviously with a DC supply, the voltage never
crosses zero, so the relay would never turn on.

As a side note, zero-cross circuits also have the effect of making most
AC SSRs useless for triac-style dimming.  The relay won't turn on until
the next zero-cross, and the silicon won't turn off until another
zero-cross.