[TriEmbed] MOSFET or Relay

Adam Haile email at adamhaile.net
Mon Dec 7 07:50:53 CST 2015

A FET is going to be WAY faster at switching than a relay. Multiple orders
of magnitude faster. Relays will often carry far more current for less
cost. Then there is the weird in between of the two... the Solid State
Relay. Also, not that a mechanical relay is true on/off. Whereas a FET or
SSR (which is usually just an opto isolated FET in a nice package) are
*generally* on/off, but there's fancy things you can do to actually have
the output voltage vary... or if you supply way to much voltage in it will
just allow it through and short out. I don't really understand that part...
I just ensure I read the datasheet and stay within the specs.

here's a good comparison of mechanical relays vs SSRs:
http://electronicdesign.com/components/electromechanical-relays-versus-solid-state-each-has-its-place

On Mon, Dec 7, 2015 at 8:41 AM, Grawburg via TriEmbed <triembed at triembed.org