[TriEmbed] MOSFET or Relay

Brian triembed at undecidedgames.net
Mon Dec 7 09:44:54 CST 2015

Adam's responses are good.  One more considration:  Voltage drop.  Even
in saturation ("on"), a semiconductor will have a current-independent
voltage drop (known as Vsd) across it that will likely be a good bit*
larger than the drop across the relay's contacts.

To summarize:

MOSFET -
  - Fast switching (nanoseconds)
  - Very low drive current (gate current)
  - Very small "on" resistance (Rds - 10s of mOhms)
  - Fairly large "on" voltage drop (Vsd - ~1.5 V)

RELAY -
  - Slow switching (micro- to milliseconds)
  - Much larger drive current (coil current)
  - Larger "on" resistance (contact resistance - 100s of mOhms)
  - Negligible "on" voltage drop

Personally I'd rather have seen amazing strides on the Philadelphia
Experiment!

-B