[TriEmbed] soldering basics

Shane Trent shanedtrent at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 19:54:27 CDT 2015

I find good looking solder joints depend more on my solder selection than
my iron temperature. I get more smooth, shinny joints faster when I use
Kester 44 in 63/37 solder in 0.031". The Sn63 solder solidifies quicker and
leaves less time for wiggling the parts and getting a cold joint. A tool
box size tube of thicker solder can be handy for large gauge wire or heavy
connectors. The larger solder on my bench is 60/40.

A few years ago I fell victim to hubris and starting using a spool of
lead-free solder that was on hand when I ran out of Kester 44. Soon I
became frustrated and began to worry that I had lost my ability to solder!
I understand that lead-free solders have improved greatly in the years
since but I am still reluctant to use them.

The Kester website has great information on soldering. The notes below are
from the the "Hand Soldering" section of their Knowledge-base.

http://www.kester.com/knowledge-base/

Sn60 vs. Sn63When is the use of one of these two alloys more appropriate
than the other? The Sn60Pb40 has a plastic range and puts down a slightly
thicker coating of solder. Sn60 is often preferred for lead tinning and
other solder coating applications. Sn63Pb37 is eutectic and as such has no
plastic range. Generally it flows better than the Sn60 and is the preferred
alloy for wave soldering and surface mount applications.
------------------------------
“44″ Flux ResiduesThe question is frequently asked are “44″ flux residues
harmful to an assembly. The “44” flux residues are non-conductive and
non-corrosive. Residue removal would normally be for cosmetic reasons. If
the assembly is in a heated environment and sees temperatures of over 160°F
the flux residues will re-melt. When liquid (at high temperatures) the
residues are conductive.
Tip TemperaturesWhat is the recommended soldering iron tip temperature?
When hand soldering with a rosin flux such as the Kester #44 or the # 285
the recommended iron tip temperature is 750°F. If you are soldering with a
low residue no-clean solder such as the #245 or # 275 we recommend a tip
temperature of 600-650°F.

Shane

A blog about some of my projects.  http://fettricks.blogspot.com/