[TriEmbed] Waterproof Connectors

Charles McClelland chip at mcclellands.org
Fri Sep 5 20:02:14 CDT 2014

To all,

I have been using Pelican boxes for my outdoor projects as they provide IP67 protection (dust and immersion up to 1m for some period at least).  The problem is that I need to connect my board inside the box to the sensor outside.  So, I have been drilling a hole in the side and passing the wire through, then terminating both ends (6 pins) and sealing with either hot glue or silicon calk.  There are two problems with this approach:
1) I can’t take the cabe out if I want to use a different sensor or a different length of cable
2) Over time, the movement of the wire opens gaps that let in water.

So, I have been looking for a solution.  Here is what I have tried so far:
	- Better and more glue and caulk - not much luck and still have issue #1
	- The Hirose HR-30 waterproof connectors - very cool but expensive ($14 a pop - more than the Pelican case) and a real pain in the ass to solder
	- Adafruit has a cool waterproof Ethernet gland but it is too big and bulky for the case (will bring on Monday in case you need one).
	- Adafruit also sells some smaller glands which are my lead candidates though they don’t solve issue #1.

So, if you know of a 6 connector solution that is small, cheap and waterproof - I would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,

Chip