[TriEmbed] Ground Confusion

Scott Hall scottghall1 at gmail.com
Thu May 1 16:16:41 CDT 2014

That's why in pro-audio you ground only one side of all signal connections: in
broadcasting the rule of thumb is to connect grounds on the source side of the
signal only; in sound reinforcement or PA systems (live stage audio) its just
the opposite -- the rule of thumb is to connect the grounds only on the
destination side (this is to have the outside of most of the signal wiring at
the mixing console's voltage potential, and thus supposedly safer if one of the
instruments attends mains voltage level from worn-out stage amps and equipment,
and someone steps on a frayed outer jacket of a worn wire -- sounds awfully
dangerous to me though, if a guitar is plugged into an old tube amp where the
practice was to ground the chassis to one side of the 2-prong plug, and the
player steps on a frayed mic wire with his body as the ground path; I'd much
rather use a separate mic to the amps speaker, or at least a direct box
(non-galvanic line transformer, turns ratio 54:1 to reduce any inducted voltage
54 times) with the added bonus of giving me a balanced differential signal for
the long run back to the board).

--
Scott G. Hall
Raleigh, NC, USA