[TriEmbed] another fan motor driver chip: Microchip MTD6501G-HC1

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Thu Jul 24 22:24:38 CDT 2014

http://datasheet.octopart.com/MTD6501G-HC1-Microchip-datasheet-11052439.pdf

I found it readingthis
<http://www.elektor-labs.com/project/high-end-propeller-clock-120732.12550.html>.
After reading wads and wads (but interesting wads) of stuff about this
POV design I got to this:

" I've assembled the propeller on the motor's hub for the first time,
but it's a disappointing experience. With no load, motor runs very
smoothly without any noise, but with the propeller, it does not manage
to start. Sensorless brushless motors have a particuliar startup
procedure which fails with the MTD6501. I guess the "locked rotor
protection" activates because of the high inertia moment of the rotating
assembly. I tried to fool the controller by adding a few ohms on motor's
wires but it doesn't solve the problem."

But this guy's drive motor runs at five volts and may likely be from a
2.5 inch drive. I can confirm that hitting a 3.5" drive motor with 12
volts will swing a one pound mass, so the technical hazard with this
chip with a 12v motor is the same as with the TI and Philips chip: false
triggering of the "something is blocking the fan blade" detection
because of the low acceleration going along with high mass.

This is the kind of thing you'd put between a simple RC controller's PWM
output and the disk drive spindle motor. Notice you don't need a
controller to run the motor at "full speed" with this chip, as this can
be done by tying the PWM input high.

One might ask himself/herself whether the .8 ampere limit of this chip
is adequate. Looking at a 2001 Fujitsu blurb about their super high
performance 15k rpm SCSI 3.5" drive and it's total power consumption of
11 watts, I think the answer for a drive made in the past half dozen
years is yes (and "heck yes" for a 2.5 inch, five volt drive). The
largest version of this chip is an eight pin SOIC ($1.09 at quantity 10
from Digikey) but it would be trivial to solder dead bug style and set
up with a little piece of aluminum bar stock or something stuck to the
thermal pad for prototyping. Hmm, another idea would be to bend the pins
down slightly, solder a long but narrow strip of copper or brass foil to
the thermal pad, then solder the SOIC chip to a regular breakout board
<http://www.adafruit.com/products/1212>. It might be that this chip
stays relatively cool: my situation involves worst case currents and
duty cycles.

Also, to clarify, the Arduino servo library would just be to arrange an
appropriate PWM signal to a circuit like the chip above. That's overkill
for this chip.  The PWM you get out of the analogWrite command for
supported pins would work (but not for the TI without using
setPwmFrequency: it's minimum PWM frequency is 15khz. That's hugely
faster than what comes out of analogWrite by default). No way, no how
can the disk drive spindle motor be made to move back and forth and hold
a position like a typical servo motor you see in a model airplane (well,
actually it can, but not with the servo library and a driver chip
anything like the ones discussed, and for only six positions).

-Pete

PS Are these reams of verbiage hitting your mailbox annoying you? If you
have a smartphone this might constitute Guantanamo-style torture. If you
follow the link below to the email listinfo you can go into your
subscription settings and turn on digest mode to get all the mail for
the list just once a day. If that isn't good enough but you want to read
this stuff at the time of your choosing just set "nomail" and browse the
email archive. (If you don't remember your password I can do it for you,
but a reminder will go out August 1st)