[TriEmbed] Running old hard drive motors with a MC: DRV11873 and DRV family ICs

Rick nm3g at triad.rr.com
Fri Jul 25 15:41:46 CDT 2014

Good afternoon Collin,

I'm wonering if a 64x CD/DVD drive wouldn't work for you. If the speed
isn't as high as you need, perhaps thinning the coating to allow better
flow at a lower speed would help.

Regarding the parallel plate capacitor test fixture ... calibrate out
the fixture with your existing LC meter ... just make it to fit your
mechanical requirements.

Computer-controlled single axis stepper ... 1.44" floppy drive ...
already has the stepper motor (tiny as it may be) ... if possible,
perhaps you could define your requirements.

I've quite a bit of experience with high current/low voltage switching
... if your load is constant, the snubber design is fairly easy; again,
some additional requirements please.

I'm working on tunable inductors (up to around 26-30 uH without the
shorted-turns or the tesla coil (open end) issues ... was working on a
balanced/unbalanced kilowatt-level tuner for 2-30 MHz. If you're working
in VHF/UHF/microwave region I'll have to stand off (work conflict).

Think the 3D printer gang has already done quite a bit with PID-loop
controlled extruder temperature control ... no sense in reinventing that
particular wheel.

The Royar induction heater looks quite simple ... IRF540 mosfets are
fairly inexpensive, but should have good heat sinks. I pull the big
aluminum ones from the computers getting scrapped at work. You will need
to mill down the chunk that actually sits on the processor, think they
are 3x5 with 2.5" fins (IBM/Lenovo desktops from 7-8 years ago). Still a
few hanging around ... let me know if this will help. BTW, the HP Server
power supplies ($20-40 each used) run on 220 and will provide 50 volts
at around 50 or so amps ... certainly big enough to power your heater.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Rick