[TriEmbed] Running old hard drive motors with a MC: DRV11873 and DRV family ICs

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Thu Jul 24 10:02:48 CDT 2014

One more alternative that just occurred to me: identify and isolate the
controller chip in a drive or fan, look up it's specs and patch some
kind of control into it while it's wired to your motor.

And I simply failed to include another, easier alternative if something
off the shelf would do. There are RC model-related PWM controllers that
you can simply connect to your motor and they will just immediately
work. I think I subconsciously filtered this out by figuring you guys
have the usual academic budgeting levels for a project like this. :-)