[TriEmbed] Running old hard drive motors with a MC: DRV11873 and DRV family ICs

Scott Hall scottghall1 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 10:21:28 CDT 2014

All,
I have been taking apart those old SCSI-3 harddisks (I dropped about 100 of off
over at Splat*Space) and it is quite easy, even maintaining the connector
pigtails.  The only thing is, the motor bearing is machined into the case
itself.  That means cutting the (aluminum) case to a manageable size -- not an
easy task at the moment.

By the way, Elektor magazine specifically has an article with a circuit for
driving these motors.  The input to the circuit is servo drive signals like
those from an radio-controlled receiver.  And there are standard library
functions for that for all of the microcontroller boards (Launchpad, Arduino,
R-Pi/Python, etc).  You can use an RC throttle to control the speed of the motor
-- and through component selection select the maximum speed of a motor.

--
Scott G. Hall
Raleigh, NC, USA