[TriEmbed] Running old hard drive motors with a MC: DRV11873 and DRV family ICs

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Thu Jul 24 09:56:15 CDT 2014

Hi Collin and List,
    I've owed you more info since the meeting, Collin. But I've been
mired in a sea of misinformation that would be alternately hilarious and
sad, so I'll just leave most of that out and report my conclusions after
poking into this some more. I wanted a little more time to be a bit more
definitive, but the executive summary starts with some very basic
details. I realize you know most or all of these already by now and
include it for the sake of other readers who might be interested, but
hopefully some of this is going to be helpful to you.
     1) Without using back EMF, hall effect sensor signals, or a coil
and magnet (or maybe some clever communication with spirits of the dead
as mediators) you can forget about doing much of anything reliably, let
alone spinning up to and holding a high speed. If there was a way to do
that I'd have found it by now, having run many nested for loops varying
a god-awful collection of parameters.
    2) Controller chips for these motors are not designed to start up
reliably with high loads. They're designed to start up reliably with
fans or disks or the like attached to the spindles so the power of the
motor is to do with high speed. So the controller chip approach is
doomed for low speed and/or high load-medium speed work without at least
some means of external control allowing special case handling of this
scenario.
   3) You can't just run X volts DC through the coils without
significant cleverness: either PWM, current limiting, or kludgy
dependence on over-temperature shutoff of the motor power source. These
are 12v (or 5v for the 2.5 inch drives, I think) DC motors that are
completely dependent on their winding *impedance* to run at reasonable
current/power levels: stalled, or at very low speed there is no
"impedance", only the DC coil resistance and they emulate tiny, enclosed
toaster ovens. I think this aspect might be why some folks on the
Internet insist these are AC motors.
    My theory is that the vast majority of enthusiasts get one of these
motors, mess around for a while,  then set it aside after initial
frustration or determining and being unwilling to implement the
necessary drive scheme. The small fraction (but no doubt large number)
of folks using these motors successfully only occasionally provide
quality information, and not a single source I've found so far covers
all the critically important bases. The vast majority of folks out there
are too smart to try to use these things at low speed. (In my defense I
haven't already been using stepper motors 'cause I couldn't arrange the
mechanical coupling without having a setup that is grossly inappropriate
for calibrating a magnetometer! But I'm rethinking that avenue now!!)
     From a standing start there is no back EMF or Hall effect signals,
of course, so the controller chip has to use "something" to handle this
scenario. The chip I'm using has an oscillator that sequences through
the winding energizing order until it starts seeing the back EMF zero
crossings. It appears the TI DRV11873
<http://datasheet.octopart.com/DRV11873PWPR-Texas-Instruments-datasheet-13024530.pdf>
fan controller chip you pointed to uses "sensorless, proprietary
control" for this. With this chip there is also "lock protection", so if
something prevents fast enough startup the chip will power off the motor
and optionally try again later.
   But also, with this TI chip *note well* that it doesn't contain
diodes to protect the semiconductor junctions from high back EMF
potentials. As per page 9 of the datasheet you MUST add external
schottkey diodes to protect the chip or the magic smoke will escape with
"high speed motors". But here's the possible "too good to be true"
aspect of this chip: It's in such a small package that proper thermal
connection to the metal pad on the bottom of the chip is critical.
Without that proper connection the chip is likely to overheat for your
(relatively high speed, presumably 12 volt) application. So a custom PCB
and good surface mount soldering might be a must (also per page 9 of the
datasheet). This is relatively straight forward, but involves an hour or
so of CAD work and about two weeks to get the boards and solder paste
stencil for a few bucks. I or somebody at NCSU can solder a simple
"breakout board" for this part. An alternative to this might be to bond
a heat sink to the bottom of the chip and solder it "dead bug style".
But those are fine pitch pins and this would require professional grade
soldering skills and be delicate as all get out (but I know a pro who
might be able to do it for you).  A hybrid alternative might be dead bug
soldering and fast moving air for cooling. It would be very interesting
to know from you or your buddies that have the physics understanding to
say whether blowing enough room temperature air at the chip could work.
There is pretty decent thermal info in the datasheet.
   As for the CCW/CW question, it depends entirely on the control:
nothing in the motor itself limits it to rotation in one direction. It
would just take an alternative set of six coil energizing sequences to
turn the other way, but the sequence appears to be fixed for a given
chip for the cases I've seen.
    The 555 seems like a no-brainer for the PWM with this TI chip, but
IMO you could combine something like an ATTiny and a potentiometer
easier, with fewer components, and with the capability to goose the
other chip options and play with the info coming out of the chip if that
appears interesting later.
   I have a tube of Philips TDF5140A
<http://datasheet.octopart.com/TDF5140AP/C1%2C112-NXP-Semiconductors-datasheet-11806991.pdf>
chips and would be happy to drop a couple off so you can bypass most of
the horsing around exercises I've been doing with raw FETs and H-bridge
chips and at least get to the "seeing this thing spin" state very
quickly. These plain, 18 pin DIP chips have internal schottkey diodes
and smart current limiting so you can connect a full 12 (or 5) volt
supply for a given motor without worrying about overheating. The chip
itself can run hot, though, without a heat sink. I use a 3/4x3/4" square
copper heat sink and the whole thing seems to stay in the 30-40C range.
They cost about $2.50 at quantity 10.
   The bottom line is that only the first drive motor I started with
would turn slowly but reliably (with heavy load) using a series of +12
volt pulses on it's windings (i.e. just using FETs, not half H-bridges).
I just got super-unlucky at the start. The more plentiful Western
Digital drive motors I've been using since then won't cooperate with
blind control of their winding voltages. In fact they won't cooperate
with any combo of bipolar energizings of one or two coils, except with
the latter (using the typical sequence mentioned below) they will turn
reliably at a single speed for a given load and pulse rate in some
cases. But they won't reliably start up to that speed: I have to spin
the device close to the target speed for it to reach equilibrium. And of
course I'm talking relatively low speeds: I can't spin an 8 ounce
assembly of aluminum to 1500 RPMs with one finger flick.
   In other words, I've found no way to just do it "blind", as so many
Internet sources about these motors suggest, except with one motor that
can't be removed from the disk drive frame, and I have no clue about how
that motor might differ (if anybody knows, please enlighten us!).
   The Philips chip above is designed for three phase motors in a "star"
winding configuration. I can confirm that with a lightly loaded motor it
will spin the thing up very quickly and reliably, depending only on the
values of three caps that govern the start up oscillator frequency and
the expected min/max target speed and electromechanical forces involved.
Selecting these capacitor values for uncommon situations is the tricky
bit and I'm still characterizing the limits of that for low speeds.
Page 10 of the datasheet shows the coil energizing sequence. If you use
this sequence and reasonable cap values (the datasheet suggests ones
that "just work" for me) and an unloaded motor doesn't immediately spin
up, then the winding connections are wrong. For the motors I'm using the
four pins are common, winding 1, 2, and 3 in sane order. I suspect it
would constitute inhumane treatment of engineers for a motor to have
other than low to high winding connection order (e.g. wired "1 3 2"). As
many other Internet sources point out, an ohm meter will read 2X ohms
between a pair of windings and 1X ohms between common and one winding
and that can be used to determine which is common. If there are not four
pins, you're on your own. :-) No, seriously, apparently "delta"
connections are used some times and the key there would be three
windings forming a triangle and no common (i.e. Hall effect or spirits
of the dead used in this case). I've seen references to motors with two
windings, but don't know how they would work and wonder if they're just
noise.
   And I knew almost zero about brushless DC motors just a few weeks
ago, so take all this with a lump of salt. And finally, here's the most
useful page I've seen (found by Erik Auschhaug). The three links at the
bottom should not be missed, but watch out for the fact that these were
written years ago, contain proprietary (and possibly obsolete) tech
references, etc. But the "Sensorless Startup" paragraph in page 2 of the
first Agile paper makes clear the subtleties involved with that. And the
second Agile paper goes into even more detail about what's really going
on at low speeds. (The Freescale link no longer works, but suggests that
TI and Philips/NXP are not the only vendors making these chips)

http://bldc.wikidot.com/p-esc-motor

Here's a picture of my setup using the "motor in plywood" mount Erik
made. This picture file is about 200kb, so I couldn't inline it or it
would exceed the 100kb per message limit for postings to this list and
block on moderation.

http://triembed.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/turntable3.jpg

If anybody is interested in access to the web site to upload stuff like
this just drop me a line.

One more, possibly important detail about that Philips chip:

Digikey is discontinuing this chip and when their stock is exhausted or
we reach September 30th they won't be for sale from them anymore. I
suspect that relatively speaking these chips are so outdated the insides
are gray. Also, if you just look up the part number Digikey will claim
zero available. You have to use their part number 568-5788-5-ND to find
them.

-Pete
(PS your Google address is now an alias for the ones you subscribed to
the list last week and your postings using this address should go
through from now on without waiting for moderation: no need to subscribe
it too.)