[TriEmbed] Power Supply rail current

Scott Hall scottghall1 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 03:19:16 CDT 2014

On 07/08/2014 05:50 PM, Adam Haile wrote:
> So,  let me make sure I understand this...
> When you say have the relays energized, I know you mean energize the solenoid
> but do you mean by that that the relay contacts are closed (power flowing) or
> open (no power)? I'm guessing you mean don't go from open to closed while
> there's power flowing since their will be a temporary arc? Could I just use a
> normally closed relay and then use the microcontroller to open the relay and
> cut the power if I need to.

For safety reasons, you want the relay to disconnect if energizing power is
removed.  An NC contacts will not break the circuit if you have power control
problems to the energizing coil.

> Do you have any links to those higher cost relays? I would really love to
> actually make it so that I could have a button on the front (hooked to the uC)
> that would allow me to, using the relay, turn the power on or off to any of
> the outputs. So having one of these nicer relays, if not too expensive, might
> be nice.

Look up "contactors" for relays designed for high currents and regular switching.

--
Scott G. Hall
Raleigh, NC, USA